Pesticide Exposure: What’s the risk?

Pesticides are indeed pest killers. But do you know that it can also cause health issues for you, too?

Pesticides can harm people in so many ways – most of which, we don’t even realize. Farmers who use pesticides are at risk of dermal and respiratory exposure. On the other hand, consumers are at possible risk of oral exposure if the produce was overly exposed or not washed properly.

Dermal Exposure
– It results when the pesticide was absorbed by your skin or eyes after contact. Absorption will continue until the chemical is on your skin or eyes.

You should know that the pesticide residues can be transferred easily from one body part to another. Thus, the applicator increases the potential of pesticide poisoning.

Respiratory Exposure
– Respiratory exposure is one of the most critical because pesticide particles can be absorbed by the lungs directly into your bloodstream. If you inhaled sufficient amount of pesticides, it can instantly cause serious damage to your nose, throat, and lung tissues.

– Lungs can be exposed to pesticides by airborne droplets, inhalation of powders, or vapor inhalation. Handling concentrated wettable powders can pose a hazard if inhaled during mixing.

Oral Exposure
– The risk of oral exposure to pesticides is high. It can result in severe injury and serious illness. In fact, it can even cause death if swallowed.

– It’s common to have accidental oral exposures as well. This happens when pesticides have been removed to their original, labeled bottles and moved into a jar or food container.

– 50% of accidental oral exposure victims in the United States are under 10 years old.